24 Hour Crisis Care Service

If you are in immediate danger or afraid, call the police on 000


24 Hours (03) 5021 2130
Suite 1, 144-146 Lime Avenue, Mildura
Email: info@msau-mdvs.org.au

Swan Hill

(03) 5033 1899
14 McCallum St., Swan Hill
Email: info@msau-mdvs.org.au

The service has a range of accommodation options to support victim/survivors and their children who are experiencing family violence and have had to leave their home and/or community for safety reasons.

MSAU-MDVS is committed to the principles of social justice and aims to ensure that every victim/survivor is treated with dignity and respect regardless of their ability, cultural background, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation or religion/faith. Through the assessment process for family violence accommodation we take into consideration the specific needs and requirements for those assessed as appropriate to access accommodation.

Common questions:

  • Do I need police intervention/intervention order?

No, the police do not need to be involved.  Only if you wish or there is danger or if there is serious concern the police will usually take out an Intervention Order on your behalf.

  • Do I need to leave my home/partner?

No, you don’t been to leave your partner or home to access the service.  Sometimes it is necessary to leave your home if it is a crisis – then we can offer alternative accommodation.

  • Can children access the Domestic Violence Service?

Children can access the service without their parent being part of service, however, if the child is under 14 years then parental consent is needed.

  • How much does it cost?

There is no cost involved unless accommodated in one of our transitional houses, then rent is paid and you provide your own food.  Counselling sessions are free.

  • How long do I need to wait for an appointment?

When there is a crisis, appointments are usually available immediately.  However, if not a crisis there may sometimes be a wait of a day.

  • How long can I attend?

There is no limit to the number of times that you can attend counselling sessions or access the service.

  • What things do I need to bring if I go into refuge?

If you need to go into refuge the things to bring if possible include – keycards, bank books, health care cards, maybe any significant personal items e.g. photos, trinkets.  If there are children involved – a favourite toy, any items of clothing – babies bottles – formula (we will supply if unable to bring)

  • Do I need to have a doctor’s report?

No, a doctor’s report if there has been any injuries is not necessary however, it may be important and used later as evidence if required.

  • Will my partner be able to find me?

Your partner will not be able to find you in MDVS accommodation – the location is strictly confidential and should he phone – there is no information given as to whether you are accessing the service.

  • Can I still see my friends if I go to refuge?

You can still see your friends – they are not able to go to the refuge, however you can meet them.

  • Can the children go to school?

Arrangements can be made for children to still go to school whilst you are in MDVS accommodation.

  • Can I get out and attend functions whilst I’m in refuge?

You can still attend functions – and go shopping if you feel safe to.  However, there is a 10pm night curfew.

  • Can I take our family pet to refuge?

Pets are allowed to be brought to refuge.

  • Do I get asked to leave after 2 weeks, even if I don’t have alternate accommodation arranged?

Whilst in MDVS accommodation we help you look for alternative accommodation either, private, or ministry of housing.  If however, after two weeks you have not been able to find anything more permanent then we look for other transitional housing – i.e. caravan, Loddon Mallee Housing